Home  Museums A-Z  Museum für Abgüsse Klassischer Bildwerke

Museum für Abgüsse Klassischer Bildwerke. Gallery of Casts of Classical Sculptures

  • Kunstareal
  • Art

Contact

Katharina-von-Bora-Straße 10
80333 München

089/28927690
http://www.abgussmuseum.de
mfa@lrz.uni-muenchen.de

Gallery Hours

Mo.-Fr. 10.00-20.00,geschlossen an Feiertagen
accessible with help

The museum displays valuable plaster casts of selected Greek and Roman masterpieces: be it Nike of Samothrake, the Discus Thrower, Herakles Farnese, the Laocoön group or Apollo of Belvedere – here one can see the world-famous statues of ancient gods, heroes, and other ancient masterpieces whose originals are scattered in the great museums throughout the world.  The Plaster Cast Museum presents the quality plaster copies under one roof united in two 18-meter-high halls with superb natural lighting.  The specimens include 16 Aphrodite, 20 Dionysos, almost 400 statues on 900 square meters on the ground level alone – an unforgettable impression!
The main attraction in this collection is the architectural model of the Athenian Parthenon from the late 19th century.  Architecture, ornamentation, and design of the temple are colorfully reconstructed and deliver a realistic impression of the splendor of the ancient temples.
The collection holds about 2000 plaster casts of selected of art works from 700 BC to 500 AD with an emphasis on Hellenistic sculpture and Roman portraits.  Special treats are the 150 permanent loans from New York’s Metropolitan Museum of Art which were produced in the 19th and early 20th centuries.  They often render the ancient sculptures in a better state than the originals can today.

The Gallery of Plaster Casts of Classical Sculptures was established by the archaeologist Heinrich von Brunn, who served as head of the newly-formed department of classic archaeology at the University of Munich since 1865. In 1869 the museum received its first contributions, and by 1944 there were 2,400 plaster casts.  The institute and exhibit rooms were located in the northern court arcades of the Residence. After the total destruction during World War II the collection was rebuilt in the House for Cultural Institutes in the present Katharina-von-Bora Street. Free admission makes the academic emphasis in the museum readily accessible for visitors.
The building was designed by Paul Ludwig Troost to serve as administrative site for the NSDAP. It was constructed from 1934 to 1939 and was not damaged during the war. After 1945 the American occupying forces - Museums, Fine Arts & Archives Section - used it as storage area for the artifacts confiscated by the NSDAP. Since then the building has remained connected to the cultural institutions of the city.

Angebote des Museumspädagogischen Zentrums (MPZ)
Familien- und Ferienaktionen, Geburtstage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Museum, Veröffentlichungen, Programme für Klassen aller Schularten und Jahrgangsstufen und Kindertagesstätten, Fortbildungen

Calendar of events

< June - 2016 >
Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30