Home  Museums A-Z  Vermessen in Bayern - Historische Sammlung des Landesamts für Vermessung und Geoinformation

Surveying in Bavaria – Historical Collection of the Bavarian Agency for Surveying and Geographic Information

Office building of the Bavarian Agency for Surveying and Geographic Information, built for the Royal Land Registry in 1905.

The world's largest archive of lithographic stones with over 26.000 stones, listed since 1980.

First cadastral survey, ca. 1813

Machine for engraving circle division, by Georg Reichenbach 1801

Repeating theodolite, 1810, from the workshop Reichenbach, Utzschneider and Liebherr

Exhibition space honouring important individuals since the earliest days of the Bavarian Surveying Administration

Main triangulation network 1831 for the topographic atlas of Bavaria, which was completed in 1804-1864

Exhibition on 200 years of official surveying in Bavaria, opened in 1999

Historical print shop

Camera for reprographic purposes

Technology

Contact

Alexandrastraße 4
80538 München

089/2129-1693
http://www.geodaten.bayern.de
goetz.schult@ldbv.bayern.de

Gallery Hours

Vermessungshistorische Ausstellung: Do. 13.00-16.00 Lithografiesteinarchiv: nach Vereinbarung Galerie: Mo.-Do. 8.00-16.00, Fr. 8.00-12.00
accessible with help

The remarkable exhibit on the history of surveying – "From the surveyor’s post to the Antenna" – affords insight into the 200-year history of surveying in Bavaria.  What role did Napoleon play in the first state-wide Bavarian statistics?  What huge technological obstacles stood in the way? The visitor learns about the importance of fundamental surveying practice and land-registers for modern governing purposes while observing the daily routine of the surveyor. The showcases present the changes in various methods of measurement and the instruments themselves since 1800. A separate room is devoted to the godfathers of Bavarian Surveying history: Fraunhofer, Reichenbach, Schiegg, Senefelder, Soldner, Utzschneider.
The national landmark world’s largest archive for stone lithography with over 26,000 lime printing plates which served into the 20th century for reproductions of designs and maps is housed here. This historically-preserved printing workshop with original printing presses and the largest, still functioning "two-room" camera are on display in the State Office for Digitisation, High-Speed Internet and Surveying.  They can be visited by appointment.

The main building was constructed in 1901 to house the Royal Land Registry Office and all of its related areas like the blueprint conservatory, lithographic institute, land registers, and surveying statistics.  In order to provide the best protection for the collection of the land registry office, special fire-proofing techniques were used, e.g. use of stone and non-usage of wooden staircase.  After its destruction in World War II the building was restored to its present state by the early 1950s.
The exhibit on the history of surveying is located in a building in Liebig Street.  It was build in 1953 and stands under landmark protection since 1992. The structures were extensively renovated between 1986 and 1998.  It was during this process that the stone lithography display found its present storage under the southern yard of the united building complex. The agency here has received different titles in its 200-year existence: it was established as "Topographical Bureau", later it was merged with the Royal Registry Office, and in 1915 became the "Bavarian State Office of Surveying".  During the administrative reforms of 2005 the name State Office for Surveying and Geographic Information emerged. Since 2014 due to further tasks after state election 2013 the official name is State Office for Digitisation, High-Speed Internet and Surveying.

Calendar of events

< January - 2018 >
Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31