Home  Museums A-Z  Schloss Schleißheim

Schlossanlage Schleißheim

Former summer palaces of the Wittelsbach family

New Palace

New Palace from the garden side

View to the Old Palace

Lustheim Palace

Great Gallery

Bedroom of the elector

Banqueting Hall in Lustheim Palace

Chapel in the appartement of the electress

Vestibule

Palaces

Contact

Maximilianshof 1
85764 Oberschleißheim

089/315872-0
http://www.schloesser-schleissheim.de
sgvschleissheim@bsv.bayern.de

Gallery Hours

April–Sept.: Di.–So. 9.00–18.00 Okt.–März: Di.–So. 10.00–16.00 Da die Öffnungszeiten jährlich variieren können, informieren Sie sich bitte auf der Webseite
accessible with help

The ensemble consists of the New Palace, the Old Palace, Lustheim Palace, and the extensive Baroque garden impressively leading the visitor through royal luxury of the 17th and 18th centuries.  The museum "The Divine Year and its Festivals" stands under the roof of the northern wing of the Old Palace since 1986.  The southern wing houses "There once was a land…" since 1991.  Both are branches of the Bavarian National Museum.  The magnificent New Palace from the early 1700s employs room layout to embody the essential aspects of a European residence castle.  The ceiling frescoes set the tone for the transition of styles in southern German ceiling painting, and the interiors are among the most artistically priceless of their kind.  The gallery rooms display masterpieces of European Baroque painting from the Bavarian National Art Collections.  The park grounds rank among the most important European Baroque gardens.  Employing water surface, broderies, fountain, and cascades, Dominique Girard succeeded in creating an impressive, incomparable total image which has essentially retained its features to the present.

The castle site Schleißheim originates with Duke Wilhelm V of Bavaria, who in 1597 acquired the Schleißheim gardens in the isolated marsh region. The site spotted with cottages and chapels was a retreat for nobles which suited the needs of the pious and contemplative duke. In 1617 his son Duke Maximilian replaced the manor with the castle structure designed by Heinrich Schöns the elder. This became the present Old Castle. Despite the extensive damage of World War II, the rebuilt castle serves as a prime example of villa-style architecture for country castles built in the upper Italian Veneto region.
A new chapter began during the reign of Elector Max Emanuel (1680-1726). The magnificent country site of his predecessor with the Old Palace as focal point gave way to the pompous residence of absolutism. The Lustheim Palace first entered the scene with two pavillions.  Construction of the New Palace began 1701-04 with the Henrico Zuccali designs which were continued and completed in 1719 under Joseph Effner. The exquisite interior features were created by renowned artists like Johann Baptist Zimmermann, Cosmas Damian Asam, and Jacopo Amigoni. The French landscape expert and hydraulic engineer, Dominique Girard, extended the court garden in the style of the French Baroque.

Angebote des Museumspädagogischen Zentrums (MPZ)
Familien- und Ferienaktionen, Geburtstage für Kinder und Jugendliche im Museum, Veröffentlichungen, Programme für Klassen aller Schularten und Jahrgangsstufen und Kindertagesstätten, Fortbildungen

Calendar of events

< December - 2016 >
Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31