Home  Museums A-Z  Stadtbibliothek Monacensia

Monacensia. Literary archive

Culture

Contact

Maria-Theresia-Str. 23
81675 München

089/419472-15
http://www.muenchner-stadtbibliothek.de/monacensia
sylvia.schuetz@muenchen.de

Gallery Hours

Aufgrund von vorbereitenden Untersuchungen im Zuge der Generalsanierung des Hildebrandhauses wurde die Monacensia vorzeitig geschlossen. Wiedereröffnung voraussichtlich im Herbst 2016.

The Monacensia is the literary memory of the city of Munich.  This institute of the Munich City Library has a rich tradition and has found its home since 1977 in the former artist villa of the sculptor Adolf von Hildebrand (1847-1921).  The collection includes about 300 literary archives and objects of well-known authors, who are closely identified with Munich.  Among them are Klaus and Erika Mann, Annette Kolb, Frank Wedekind, Franziska zu Reventlow, Ludwig Thoma, Lena Christ, Oskar Maria Graf, Herbert Achternbusch, and Herbert Rosendorfer.  It also has an internationally respected reputation as a research center on the Mann Family.  An additional emphasis for the collection is the realm of Munich’s popular folk singers like Liesl Karlstadt, Bally Prell, Emi Singerl, and Jörg Hube.  The Monacensia moreover offers a public research library on Munich themes.
The various forms of conveying literature and the wealth of the Monacensia to the public include the alternating topical exhibits, tours, readings, lectures, and seminars.  The building will be reopend approximately in fall 2016.

The Hildebrand House is one of the most important artist villas of the Prince Regent period (around 1900). It was the residence of the sculptor and art critic Adolf von Hildebrand (1847-1921), who in 1890 was commissioned by the city of Munich to build the Wittelsbach Fountain at the present-day Lenbach Square. The immense fountain project and following achievements cemented the reputation of Adolf von Hildebrand as a "prince among the artists". The construction of his magnificent residence and studio on the upper bank of Munich’s Isar River established his name in the city. The designs and plans were drawn by Hildebrand himself, and the execution was relayed to the architect Gabriel von Seidl for its completion in 1898. The immediate neighborhood also includes the Stuck Villa and the Angel of Peace.
In 1974 the state capital city of Munich acquired the Hildebrand House using funds available through the newly-created landmark protection foundation of the Free State of Bavaria, thereby saving the artist villa from the threat of demolition. After restoration of the building, the Monacensia Collection received an appropriate location here.
Another restoration with building addition is scheduled for the Hildebrand House starting in mid-2013. The artist villa will return to its original condition, accomodation standards will be modernized, and more areas will be open to the public. Permanent exhibits awaiting the re-opening of the Monacensia in fall, 2015 include: The Thomas Mann Period in Munich – from Bohemia to Exile, and the history of the Hildebrand House.

Calendar of events

< May - 2016 >
Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31